Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sopor Aeternus & The Ensemble of Shadows



Sopor Aeternus and the Ensemble of Shadow's new album "Les Fleurs du Mal" came as a amazing surprise for me since I only started listening to this one-person band for a few couple of months.
Amazing and downright mind-blowing it's an understatement when it comes to show my appreciation for Anna-Varney's work.
Due to unfortunate bindings and the world's order I got to listen to the album "La Chambre D'Echo" later than most fans and I'm totally taken aback by it and it is so far one of my favorite albums ever.

For "Les Fleurs du Mal" era, first I saw the teaser, which was sweet and melodic, showing a Anna-Varney looking rather modern but still being the same butoh dancer.
The photographs that came with the music are alluring and I was bewitched once again by the beauty Anna-Varney possesses.
The new album contains the same joyous music and darker lyrics, so I'm pleased to notice that she maintained the balance on this album as well.
The lyrics for 'Some Men Are Like Chocolate' are a bit funny. We are still introduced to a world where being sexless it's a normal state in the song 'The Virgin Queen'.
I burst inside with joy at the sounds of 'Bitter Sweet' which is a very good cover!

Her voice changes from baritone, to fragile, to sweet, to powerful, to enchanting - well, it's just Anna-Varney Cantodea!
Another sad but unquestionably beautiful album and Sopor Aeternus keeps being 'fragile'!

No comments: